December Issue 28 Published Quarterly
NEWS FROM EAST TO WEST
PARISH COUNCIL INFORMATION
PARISH COUNCIL INFORMATION—Councillor
details are as follows.
Runton Parish Councillors and your Clerk Would like to extend warm Seasons Greetings to all parishioners and their families and a Healthy and prosperous New Year.
THE HISTORY PAGE RUNTON compiled by B. Emery.
ORIGINS OF NAMES OF BUILDINGS
The Ordnance Survey, the provider of various national maps series from the early 19th century, has long been considered the authority for place names. In a sense this is correct, but the sources for these names always had to be verified in writing before inclusion. Initially the sources were local landowners, clergy and antiquarians who would have the local knowledge to be considered authorities. When the local government changes took place in the 1880s, the situation changed so that from then on, any ”public” names, eg. villages, hamlets, rivers, roads etc were discussed with relevant parish, district and county councils for verification, especially if not obvious from nameplates. Those names applicable to private property obviously were still the prerogative of the landowners to add to or change.
However, the origins of some names often goes back many centuries, and this interesting phenomena has developed into a discipline in local history research, using pre-Ordnance Survey maps, usually of estates, but including the parish Enclosure Awards and Tithe Awards, generally of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Manor Court Rolls, often of earlier periods are another source. Inevitably spellings change, sometimes likely to be the result of a spoken name and then transcribed poorly.
Locally,the first mention of Runton is in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it is spelt Runetune, generally thought to be a corruption of a personal name Runa, with Tun meaning an estate or village. Various other spellings are noted in many medieval documents before its present version, probably dating from the 16th century.
Many existing non-estate road
names are obviously related to direction, eg. Cromer Road, others to
topography, eg. Sandy Lane and The Hurn, the latter probably derived from
hyrne, a medieval word for a triangular piece of land. Farm and area names
can also have an obvious origin, such as Old Hall, Manor Farm, Valley Farm,
Wood Hill, Stone Hill and Top and Lower Commons etc. On Faden’s Map of 1797,
Top Common is called Chapel Green, but no documentary or other evidence
indicates the presence of a religious building, so sometimes map names can
be misleading. The allotments at West Runton, known on some documents as The
Kraft is sometimes spelt Craft. Could this be a corruption of Croft, a
medieval and later term for a small farmstead?
Incleborough Hill is interesting as it is named Wrinklebore Hill on Faden’s Map, Incleborough Hill on Bryants Map of 1836, but then Ingleburgh Land on the Tithe Award of 1838. However a suggestion is that it comes from Winkleberhe or Wynkylbarowe noted in a c.1490 survey, the latter half of the name meaning a berg or hill, whilst Muckle Hill (Muckylhill in 1490) may be a corruption of micel or mycel, both location names with possible Scandinavian influence.
The precept has been kept the same for 2018 as 2017. Fixed at £15,000.00 it is one of the lowest in the County for the number of electors. We are fortunate to own the land which is Hazelbury Caravan Site and receive a substantial annual rent and this is what helps to keep the precept down.
A bid has been put in to Norfolk County Council to install Speed Awareness Mobile Signage. These illuminated signs flash up the speed of cars and are considered more effective in reducing speed than the static “30mph” signs. They are moved around into a different location every month. This is what makes them more effective as the motorist will not get used to seeing them all the time and also, the speed flashed up with a “slow down” message, helps to remind of the speed limit. We have to thank the Village Inn at West Runton for allowing one of these signs to be erected just inside the wall of the car park. This would be picked up by cars approaching the bend towards Water Lane. We are hoping that this will come to fruition in the spring.
ALLOTMENTS AND LAND
There is a large field on the north side of our Moyes Close allotment land in East Runton.
It has been decided at a recent meeting after much deliberation at past meetings, to look into the possibility of selling this piece of land as amenity. It cannot be built on but could serve someone quite well for grazing or simply to hold as meadow land. It is of little use to the Parish and with an access which is adjacent to the caravan site coming out onto the A149, is unsuitable for vehicles except for access. Any money raised could be used to provide other services which are no longer provided by other sources. Eg; NCC Highways.
We have a loan for the restoration of the Reading Room and this could be reduced. Work is needed on West Runton Car Park regularly A more permanent surface could be considered.
The above are suggestions and will need to be discussed before
We have been asked by the District Council to remind people that fly tipping is an offence.
Fly-tipping is defined as the ‘illegal deposit of any waste onto land that does not have a licence to accept it’. Various types of waste is fly tipped, including; general household waste; white goods (fridges, freezers and washing machines); construction rubbish (demolition and home improvement rubbish); and garden waste.
Although garden waste is biodegradable, it is still classed as waste, and it is still an offence to illegally deposit it under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 33. There have been instances of garden waste being deposited on the commons, especially Abbs Common E. Runton and Station Common W. Runton. We would ask that householders refrain from this if it has been done in the past. We recognise many people are disposing of their garden waste properly and legally and therefore thank you for your consideration and co-operation.
PARISH COUNCIL OFFICE open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Please come along and support your local activities
A bit of Christmas history written in her memoirs by Effie Barker, tells us that the postman usually got to Top Common East Runton on Christmas day at about noon and this would be a great event. Rarely did any parcels or cards arrive before Christmas Day! They received through the post from Grandfather in Hickling, “two rabbits tied together by the legs with a label but no wrapping paper”.
Effie received a doll one year which brought her total of dolls owned up to two; called Hilda and Gracie. She possessed just three books, two about Jesus and one about a Dutch wooden doll.
EVENTS FOR NORTH EAST NORFOLK BIRD CLUB
'Birding on the Edge' talk with Tony Marr 25th January 2018 19:30 - 21:30
FISH AND CHIP VAN calls at The Hurn West Runton Weds 5.15pm.Fridays 11.30-12.45
and at East Runton Half Year Close Wednesday 5:30pm, Buxton Close 6pm
CROMER LIBRARY www.norfolk.gov.uk/libraries 01263 512850 Open Mon to Sat.
MOBILE LIBRARY THURSDAYS EVERY FOUR WEEKS IN THE PARISH
Next visits: 7th Dec, 4th Jan, 2018 1st Feb 1st Mar, 29th Mar , Not bank
The Clerk would be pleased to receive information for the next publication.
Any forthcoming events or any reports of organisations. By the 20th February 2018 please. Your comments on this publication would be welcomed. All information to the Clerk-Contact details are on page one.
Views expressed are not necessarily the views of the editor or the Parish Council members.
Produced by Barbara Emery (Clerk)