Welcome to: East and West Runton Parish Web Site.  East and West Runton are villages in North Norfolk , UK

East and West Runton

Foundation Level of the Local Council Award Scheme logoRUNTON PARISH COUNCIL

Parish Council Information      

The villages of East and West Runton are combined for local government purposes into two electoral wards, each represented by six Parish Councillors; the current Members names are listed below. Meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of each month with the exception of December, which is on the third Tuesday, and in August there is no meeting. The venues alternate between the Village Hall at East Runton and the Church Hall at West Runton . The Annual Parish Meeting also alternates between the villages.

The Parish Council office and information centre is to be found at:

The Reading Room, Felbrigg Road, East Runton, Cromer,

Norfolk NR27 9PE.  Tel: 01263 512214


LATEST NEWS - Scroll down to bottom of page

The current Members of the Parish Council are:

East Ward

Mr K S Jonas. Tiddlers Cottage Mill Lane East Runton.
Mr S A Bacon. Albert House, High Street, East Runton.
Mr. B. Cushion, Meadowsett, Top Common East Runton.
Mrs J Hodson. Fernie House, High Street, East Runton.
Mr R G Spinks. Norfolk Cottage, Felbrigg Road, East Runton.
Mr. C. Hawkins, Shoemakers Cottage East Runton.


West Ward

Chairman - Mr J A Simpson. Woodrising, Sandy Lane, West Runton.

Vice Chairman.Mr. M. Brandish. Calveswell Barn, Calveswell Lane

West Runton.
Mr. R. Annis. Dawley Cottage Boulevard Road West Runton.
Mr J Creasey. Bransbury, Rosebery Road, West Runton.
Mr D Bakewell. Woodlands Renwick Park West Runton.

Mr. Bruce Bedwell.  The Dreys, Longacre Shawcross Road, West Runton.


Parish Clerk: Mrs Barbara Emery is the Parish Clerk.

Contact details.

Telephone: Office 01263 512214  Email: runtonpc@aol.com

Office hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10am-1pm and 2pm-4pm

The Meetings scheduled for 2017 are as follows:

East Runton Reading Room West Runton Church Hall
24th January 28th February

28th March

25th April + Annual Parish Meeting 6:30pm
23rd May Annual Parish Council Meeting. 27th June
25th July 26th September
24th October 28th November
19th December        First meeting 2018 January 23rd

Each meeting commences at 7.15 pm unless otherwise notified and the agenda is displayed on the Parish Notice Boards and on this website. Members of the public are most welcome, there is an open session at the start of the meeting when any member of the parish can address the meeting. Some Councillors are available from 7pm for any individual questions or comments on a one to one basis. (Councillor Surgery)

District / County Councillors and Member of Parliament.

The District Councillor for Runton is Ms. S. Butikofer;
Our Norfolk County Councillor is Ms. S. Butikofer as above.
The local Member of Parliament is Mr Norman Lamb whose constituent office is at 15 Market Place, North Walsham, Norfolk. NR28 8BP. Tel No: 01692 403752

Representative Councillors on Village Committees are:

Playing Field Management:: Mr R G Spinks.
Village Hall Committee: Mrs J Hodson
The Ploughlet Charity: Mrs J Hodson.
Runton Parish History Society: Mr J Creasey, Mr R Spinks. The Clerk Mrs. B. Emery

Allotments Advisory committee - Mr. D. Bakewell,  Mr. C. Hawkins, Mr. R. Spinks, Mr. R. Annis.

Footway lighting - provided and  maintained by contract. Dog waste bins, grit bins and rubbish bins - provided and maintained. Memorial benches - maintained.  Notice boards - provided and maintained.  Bus shelters at Wyndham Park, East Runton and West Runton - provided and maintained. Local footpaths and commons - maintained.  Allotments - provided and maintained.


There is a defibrillator situated at the Spar shop on Cromer road in West Runton. There are a number of people who have trained how to use it. Including the Clerk to the Parish Council.

There is also one situated at East Runton Newsagents in the High Street.

The above is now housed in a purpose built box on the wall outside the Newsagents.  There has been a training session to show people how to use this box and the defibrillator.



Barbara Emery, the Clerk to the above Parish Council has undertaken training and obtained a pass for another module; an addition to the CiLCA qualification.  "The Power of Competence" which will allow the Parish Council wider powers in spending. 

Seating in the Parish

There are a number of seats in the parish which are maintained by the Parish Council.  In 2015 they have been inspected and repaired when necessary and re-stained or painted if required.  One or two are oak and therefore are not stained but left natural.

Reading Room

This building owned by the Parish Council has been re-furbished and an office included for the Parish Council.  The former Billiard Room now has tea and coffee making facilities and meetings for East Runton ward are now held there.  See calendar for dates.


Street Lighting

It has been decided to replace all the street lamps with led lanterns over a period of five years with six per year being fitted.  The first six have been replaced and are in the Top Common area with one at the top end of Broomhill.  This is at a cost of £1650.00 initially.  The next six four of which are in East Runton as they are obsolete and two are in West Runton.  This will be done within the next three months at a cost this year of £1850.00.



The footpath between the Runton villages will be cleared and tidied at the end of the summer season. 



Work is continuing with the commons conservation work.  The borehole is still being monitored and there is a slight trickle to the pond since it has been switched off.  However it is not enough to sustain levels during dry periods.

East Runton common now has the completed path constructed across the common from the pond at Lower Common to the St. Andrews church.  This has allowed people to safely negotiate the curve in the road by Incleborough House instead of having to walk in the road if cars are parked.  Posts have been placed around the corner and along the side of the common to hopefully stop cars parking in that area. The path has a light sandy finish to it and is already being dubbed "the yellow brick road".


Playing Field

Runton United Football Team - Fixture list on the "What's On" page.



Monitoring is continuing and for untidy plots, tenancies will be considered for termination.  


Planning considered at recent meetings.

PF/17/1122 – 49 Renwick Park WR. Erection of single storey rear extension.

PF/17/1085 – 10 Renwick Park WR.  Two storey extension and double garage.

PF/17/1066 – 124 Cromer Rd. WR..  Erection single storey extension plus alterations to roof and loft conversion.

PF/17/1243 - Orchard Cottages East Runton   Extension at rear.

PF/17/1131 - 34 Renwick Park W. Runton  Extension.

All the above were sent by email and no objections registered to date.

Finance Current July

i.                    Income – none

ii.                  Direct Debits paid:

Anglian Water for Reading Room                        £36.85

e.on energy – street lighting supply                      £116.84

Unicom – broadband and phone                          £63.84

iii.                Invoices to agree for payment

Darling and Son – grass cutting and footpaths    £420.00

Richardsons Carpets – Reading Room floor        £835.20

TT Jones – Street lamp inspection/repairs £553.13

Norfolka2z (Mrs. M. Clarke) – website fee          £110.00

Bentham Ltd – Inkjet cartridges                          £66.90

Barbara Emery - Clerk’s salary etc                       £841.68

HMRC – Tax and NI on above                            £159.36

Mazars – external auditor                                              £480.00 last year £240 but fees are generated by the income and expenditure and it’s £400 for those with Income and expenditure over £100,000. This should regulate down next year.

Previously agreed purchase of a fridge                 £30.00

All the above include vat where applicable – recoverable

Balance at bank including above not cleared                         £24,966.31

Projected balance to date with regard to earmarked reserve  £23,131.31  £1850 reserves for LED lamp replacement and Reading Room (taking into consideration £835.00 spent on carpet)



ANNUAL RETURN -  See the Statement of Accounts page.


Section 25 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014

Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2015

1. The audit of accounts for the Council for the year ended 31st March 2017 has been concluded.

2. The Annual Return is available for inspection by any local government elector of the area of the Council on application to:

The Clerk – Ms. Barbara Emery at The Reading Room, Felbrigg Rd.,
East Runton Cromer NR27 9PE
Tel: 01263 512214 – email : runtonpc@aol.com

3. Copies will be provided to any local government elector on payment of £1.00 for each copy of the Annual Return.

ANNOUNCEMENT MADE BY: Barbara Emery ……………………………..

DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT …31st July 2017 ……….

RUNTON PARISH HISTORY SOCIETY:    There is now a much larger display of our photographs and "The Runtonian" (a magazine produced by the school in 1924) at The parish office The Reading Room East Runton.

The book "The Runtons Past and Present" is available and features old photographs alongside the new ones of the same views as near as possible with narration on each picture.  Priced £6.99 it is available at good book shops and in our local shops at East and West Runton.  Also from the Clerk during opening hours at the Reading Room office.


CALENDAR FOR 2018 ON SALE NOW - Priced at £7.50 it can be bought from the Parish Office,  the Kit Bag and the Newsagents in East Runton.  Also at the Caravan and Camping Leisure Shop in the parade of shops on Cromer Road West Runton.

Next event: To be arranged.